Safe Online Shopping. . .
The internet – whether accessed through
a computer, digital TV or mobile phone – offers convenience,
choice, competitive prices and access to a wealth of information.
By following a few simple tips, it is possible to shop safely
Hints & Tips
- Payment: If your credit or debit card is used fraudulently
in the EU, the card company must refund you.
- Websites: Use shops you know or which are recommended.
Get the supplier's phone number and postal address.
- Records: Keep a copy of what you've ordered, plus
the supplier's confirmation message.
- Quality: Your high street consumer rights apply
- Cooling off: In many cases in the EU the law lets
you change your mind and get a refund within 7 working
days of the delivery.
high street rights apply
Your high street rights
apply equally when buying over the internet as when
shopping on the high street. So remember, goods must
be of satisfactory quality and adverts and descriptions
must not be misleading. The
Advertising Standards Authority and the Office
of Fair Trading websites have further information.